What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

Niiiiiiice. :0

Also, despite her still working, loly is starting to show more obvious cracks in her hull, such as this picture's inability to copy over due to an I/O error. Glad I'm backing shit up now.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed. Hopefully you can get Loly back up soon :[

Chocofreak13

Eh, it looks like I won't be able to get a new drive till may. I just hope she can hold out that long.
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

ASFAIK Puppy has an installer with it these days.  Or it did when I used it to boot my brother's laptop.  Granted that was a live flashdrive thanks to UNETbootin which is a must for anyone who wants to (relatively) rapidly prepare Linux distros or make a decent size flashdrive into a mini-computer.

LeaflameSD

I think I got my phone fixed yay

Chocofreak13

welp, if Loly's hard drive is a rope bridge, the second rope just snapped. currently posting from safe mode, since normal windows won't boot (or, rather, it boots to a plain black screen and a notice that my drive is failing.....and literally nothing else, not even a start bar). only doing this so I can wrap up a few torrents; after that, i'll be booting a liveCD of Ubuntu 12.04 (thanks to Claire for the disk). much thanks to pent for finding me a replacement drive on ebay for rather cheap ($45), but since idk when i'll have that much, i'll be using Ubuntu for a little while. :\

I know most Linuxes (especially a popular one like Ubuntu) have .mkv players, but do they come bundled with torrent clients? (I heard this version even comes bundled with Skype, so I'm thinking that's a yes, but I figured I'd ask anyway.)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

It should have it; given that I have an old CD for Ubuntu 8.04, and a copy of the latest Linux Mint, and they both have Transmission; a simple and easy to use torrent client :3

Chocofreak13

gooooood. >>;

now to find torrents so small/well seeded that they can finish in about 6 hours or less.
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Spoiler: ShowHide
this is old as, but

Quote from: LeaflameSD on April 07, 2013, 10:01:50 AM
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
http://www.wisebread.com/make-your-dvd-player-region-free-in-seconds

I assume the DVD is set to Region 1, right? Try the links above. If it didn't work,

Try investing in a region free DVD player
Or use VLC or something.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on April 07, 2013, 12:22:35 PM

@leaf: dude....

1. i'm IN region 1. why would i need to unlock if the dvd WAS region 1.
2. i already use VLC, duh. who doesn't here?
3. because i use VLC what i need is to change the locking at the hardware level. and "invest in a regionless dvd player lololololol" fuck you and your money.
(sorry. i'm crabby this morning and a smart-alecky response like that is getting on my nerves. besides, "investing" in one when i only have one region-locked dvd isn't exactly an investment. and even then, this is the computer's dvd drive we're talking here. not exactly the kind of thing you go shopping at wal-mart for.)
God, I sounded like such a smart-ass back then.

Bella

OH GOD EVE STARTED UP INTO SAFE BOOT AND NONE OF MY BROWSERS BUT FIREFOX 3.0.6 WORK AND SHE'S A LOT SLOWER THAN USUAL WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IS THERE AN IMPENDING HARD DRIVE FAILURE MAC PEOPLE HELP ME OUT.

Krizonar

Hold down Command, Option, P and R together at the next start up and let it reboot twice, needing a PRAM reset badly can cause odd problems such as these.

You could always verify your partition in Disc Utility to see if your hard drive is the problem, which is indeed a possibility.

Bella

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot next time I reboot her.

While she was still in safe boot, I backed up my files with Time Machine and repaired disk permission. (Funny thing, my photography professor was just talking about this today; otherwise I probably wouldn't have even thought about it.) She rebooted normally and seems to be running okay now, but I'd like to investigate this further, in case it's anything serious.

Chocofreak13

if i were you, i would. that's how loly's big problems started. :\

@leaf: at least you apologize for it now.
and i think i'll equip that as my next avatar when i change. -w-

yesterday, by Thor's Banjo Loly started up into regular windows by accident. scrambled to take advantage of it and cram as much new music onto her as possible, which continued into today.
which let me know that, despite this recent miracle, she's getting worse.
since all the new music i have has to be put on and synced from my desktop, since i can't access the folder i keep my music in through windows. WE crashes every time. >>;

guess i'm using Linux Mint for awhile longer~
click to make it bigger

winduko

I had this since November/December 2012.

Cockleshell

speaking of which, i never actually did post the specs of my alienware
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.