More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

Quote from: "Bells"I've always been fond of the old American and British military uniforms (for instance, 1700s and 1800s British, Continental and Union Armies), but some of the WWI and II uniforms are pretty interesting too~

There's been a 6000-kun for awhile now! He's drawn on a scrap of paper... somewhere... with a bunch of other -kuns, Emacs, GE 600, FASTRAND and 728-kun too IIRC. I should find that and post it.

GECOS (or GCOS) is easy to forget until you realize that it's behind a few important OSes and computer systems of its era (Multics was built partially on GECOS machines, Unix, and now the WWMMCS-GECOS connection). GCOS-tan is certainly quite the character though... there's really no forgetting her. ^^;;

Indeed.  The profusion of gold braid tends to bother me, not that that stops me from enjoying them (Especially the Continental Army).

And find it you did!

Yesss she is, but she's usually too modern or too in the wrong field for me to be dealing with her relations ><.

That's what I assumed... also realised that WWMCCS used a lot of different software and hardware, but the 6000 and GECOS were the most mentioned on its wiki article.

Quote from: "Still Bella"I hate creating redundant characters, that's why I wanted to work in a GECOS-WWMCCS-tan connection rather than create a whole new Wimex GECOS-tan. I like your idea to let WWMCCS-tan represent WWMCCS's version of GECOS though....

Mainly because of the significance of WIN.

Yes.

Quote from: "Well what do you know, Bells again!"That's a sound decision! Hmm, this makes her something akin to a step-step-sister to Multics...GECOS, Multics and 6000-kun were all step-siblings (in a way: same company) so WWMCCS-tan is practically a part of the family too...

... oh god, what do you want to bet she lost that eye getting in between Multics and GECOS in a catfight? D:

Indeed.

OH MY.  THAT IS DEFINITELY NOT GOING IN MY STORY IDEA FOLDER.

Quote from: "Kari"I VOTE FOR THE LOVECHILD

born out of a drunken night of passion and forgotten! WWMCCS-chan, 6000's illegitimate daughter!! >:3

and thanks for the info, you may see cadet popping up in a few days (if i can resist the urge to be lazy).

I.  This.  See bellow LGP-30-tan.

HOORAY

It goes against standard procedure for me to add just one -tan, let alone just one -tan at the end of an otherwise normal post but to be honest I'm a) Too terrified to leave her alone b) To do any more right now.  Yes.  For the first time I am actually afraid of one of my characters.

LGP-30
-Heavy sleeper, extremely difficult to wake up (reputed to have the most difficult start-up sequence of any computer.  It involves counting burrr's and clunk's and at least two storage mediums)
-Generally understood to be a badass, feared and respected by all for various reasons.  Few of which have any basis in reality
--'Real Programmer' Status/Godhood: Exhibit #1 Her programmer Mel Kaye is believed to started it all when programming her.  Actually the actual incident occurred when dealing with her younger sister, RPC-4000.  Demographic: Unixen, Linuxes?
--The Nuclear/Communist connection: Designed by Stan Frankel, a black listed Manhattan Project scientist eking out a living as a computer consultant after loosing his clearances during the Red Scare. Demographic: Mainframes, Cold War relics
--Reality Warping: Now that's just silly.  Demographic: Scientists, mathematicians, you, me, and any other sane people
-Easy going, puts up with all sorts of jobs with little complaint.  Once you wake her up of course.
-Apparently suffers from "magnetic flux in the head"
-Which is what she blames her occasionally chaotic way of doing things and bouts of homicidal rage or intense introspection (She was used to discover "strange attractors" and the Butterfly Effect.  This is probably what should be concerning)
-Fond of actual butterflies
-Has quite the sense of rhythm
-Motto "FiberGlass Javelins Kill Quite Well" (mnemonic device to remember how to enter hexadecimal numbers on a typewriter keyboard)
-Disconcertingly, appears to posses a javelin....
-Gainfully employed in the scientific and educational fields for many years; now enjoying retirement in Boston and Germany

Physical: Posses oscilloscope eyes (used an oscilloscope display instead of blinking lights), dresses casually typically with a butterfly theme (she's retired, taking it easy), sandy blond hair, may or may not posses a Chaos cultist costume from Warhammer 40k

There is a frightening (to me) X meets Y for her as well.

Chocofreak13

@stew: futanari wut nao? :\
@bells: don't resist the urge!! it's a good urge!! i would read and save and print and have semi-naughty dreams about that fanfic!! 0w0

i likes the sound of the communistic badass-tan. -w-
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Wait, what?  (X meets Y = describing something as two other concepts combined?)

Chocofreak13

futanari = chicks with dicks

....there's some pics of such in the gallery :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Yes, I unfortunately know.  Relevance was escaping me though....

Chocofreak13

x meets y. chromasones?
click to make it bigger

Bella

Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With filesystem trees and CRT skies,
Somebody calls you - you answer quite slowly,
A girl with oscilloscope eyes...

30 in the sky, with diamonds, 30 in the sky with diamonds~

A narcoleptic butterfly-enthusiast, aside from the bouts of murderous rage I'm afraid I don't quite see what's so terrifying about her. ^^;; She sounds like a really interesting character though! And the wiki article on the actual computer is quite interesting too. ^^

Magnetic flux in the head? *omg sounds like Danny Faraday!!!!*

She's not retired in Boston anymore, remember, the Damned Californiasses stole our computers out from under us. D: D: D:

Please do tell what this frightening X Meets Y is (I'd guess DTSS-tan meets... OS/8-tan, but I'd probably be wrong.)

Quote from: "Kari"@bells: don't resist the urge!! it's a good urge!! i would read and save and print and have semi-naughty dreams about that fanfic!! 0w0

Yeaaaaaah, I sort of have my hands full enough as it is with other semi-naughty fanfics. Including a continuation of one involving a Cold War Era defense computer and a 1980s Apple micro on a mysterious tropical island and in awkward yuri situations, which to my dismay is becoming more and more elephantine as I continue. << >> <<

stewartsage

Yes, that's what I presumed.  Then explained.  Because I really don't want to think about futanari ><

One of those things she's known for does have some basis in reality.  I know right?

Perhaps a little.

Well then, time to take up permanent residence in Germany.  That is where the only working model is anyway.  

Haurhi Suzumiya meets Erica Hartman meets River Tam.

Chocofreak13

meets dschengis khan?
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Come now, that's just crossing the line. -w-;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

Boo, I only know one character on your list Stew. So she's like Haruhi! xP

LET'S GET THIS TRAIN BACK ON ITS TRACKS WITH A QUESTION TO PONDER:

We've about a million microcomputer hardware/software-tan hybrids running about. Most of these said microcomputer-tans run various versions of BASIC, but are otherwise unrelated (at least outside of their company familial groups: the Apple Micros, Commodores, Amstrads, etc). Resident OS-tan genealogist and anthropologist wants to know: is there an ancestral -tan that ties all these BASIC "OS"-based -tans together? Is it time for a.... BASIC-sama?

I realise that BASIC is a programming language, not an OS, and while I've seen programming language-tans on the interwebs before I've never felt the need to make them. But things are made murkier in this case, when you consider that many micros use BASIC as their "operating system". Just a passing thought that occurred to me while contentedly staring at my VIC-20~

stewartsage

But lazy.

That's a good question!  The thought had occurred to me as well considering the sheer number of times it shows up, but being far less daring then you I never thought to go very far with the idea of giving a program language like BASIC a -tan.  

Opinion wise; I think it would be a good idea to give all the micros a mentor/hero/goddess.

Chocofreak13

i like the idea of having BASIC be some sort of mysterious figure that leads the hybrid masses. like a cult leader, only without the dark shady tendencies (or in some cases, WITH the dark shady tendencies). like a religious or political figure for the BASIC followers.

i would write out the -tan myself, but i don't know much about BASIC other than it's a widely used programming language in older computers that has fallen into obscurity.

how about this as a concept: a once great leader who fell out of popularity once the more "modern" programming languages came in, but, refusing to die (and wanting revenge) begun an underground group that grew in size. either unknown or believed to be dead by "modern" -tans, BASIC-kun (i feel a male fits better but you guys are welcome to make BASIC a girl instead) continues adding to his army (which he so affectionately calls his "family") to try to break back into the market and overthrow the bigger, newer languages like C++ and Java.

sounds cool to me. 8)
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

BASIC-sama = benevolent gender-bent Mayor Richard J. Daley?