Main Menu

More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "Bella"
Mark I's colour scheme is gold and olive, with white and blue accents, Mark II's is black and white, Mark III's will probably be Continental Army inspired, so red, dark blue and off-white and Mark IV's is copper and beige for the most part. This is for outfits, mind you... I'm not sure about their eye/hair colours. Those would probably run somewhere in the gold/copper/brown spectrum...
Okay. I was asking because I was planning on drawing them on color. For most of the mainframe-tans, I'm not sure about their color schemes.

On first inspection, it seems as if the older the OS-tans get, the more complex they should become... and could be true, if you consider the HUGE size and complexity of the machines in the 40s and 50s. But, if you want to look at it from another POV... the computers of that era could be argued to be LESS complex since they existed mostly as hardware, with little or no software involved. Less complex computers = less complex OS-tans.
I see. Those computers look so unwieldy, but removing software from the equation simplifies using it. After all, computers back then had very specific purposes too.

Now, the mainframe of the 60s on the other hand... those now only employed large computers, but some fairly complex software as well. It was a true "rococo" period for the OS-tans and hardware-tans, something that should show up in their designs. (And just like the RL rococo period, it would later be abandoned in favour of simplicity and utilitarianism).
Nice parallels! Not to mention that the 60's era OS-tans were more ambitious, but tended to be prim and stuffy as a whole.

Yet... like with the RL 1960's, there were rebels --including a hippie-- sticking it to the establishment! Their stuffy ideals are oppressive and cramping our style, man!

Yeah! I remember noticing how the older Windows-tans were dressed historically-looking too. In fact, I even played this up with one of my old drawings of 3.1-tan... http://bellacielo.deviantart.com/gallery/#/du90mu XD
Your art style has changed so much in 3 years, but that pic still looks very nice. :)

It's amazing how our perspective on "old" in the OS-tan world keeps getting broader... for a long time, I considered Unix to be the oldest "real OS" and didn't even acknowledge the existence of Multics, an older but arguably more advanced OS! Learning about Multics is what gave me a new POV on old OSes and computers, and inspired me to research ever older ones.
Glad you acknowledged Multics, huh? :) I remember when she was originally intended to just be mentioned as Unix's mother and that was it, but her creation as a full-fledged character not only created a very rich backstory for her, but has also led to many more historical OS-tans and the interactions among them being created.

Now, we've ventured into the exotic realm of Hardware... the land before OSes so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a years time, we're conceptualizing Antikythera Mechanism- and Analytical Engine-tans. ^^''
We'll probably get to that point! :)

Chocofreak13

@bella: i was thinking of the hardware as the exterior. fancy ball gowns, pearls, ruffles, giant hair, ect. if you compare people of the past with what we wear now, we're much less fancy.

in turn, alot of the newer OSes are much "smarter" in terms of they're up-to-date with the latest technology.

of course, this is entirely for storyline purposes, and, being that i have just possibly insulted 95-tan (one of my favourites) i repeal all that i have said. ^^;

on a different note, i have FINALLY gotten around to drawing those icons. currently in the process of colouring with gimp. xD
click to make it bigger

Bella

SRSLY CHECK OUT THE FULLVIEW

L-to-R:

NSA Security Enhanced Linux-tan (what it sounds like: a very secure Linux kernel. According to alt.folklore.computers, it employs many security features taken from Multics).
-Represents the kernel itself, not a particular distro
-Looks like Linux-tan, but with some notably Multicsesque twists
-Created by the NSA, but doesn't necessarily work for the organisation
-No skin showing, aside from face
-Wields a spear and impressive cyber armour (akin to forcefields) for self defense
-Multics-like in power and fighting skills, but less personable than her role-model
-Distrustful and prickly to get along with
-Refuses to accept food and drink from others, always carries a flask on her (points to whoever gets the FLASK reference)

IBM 7090 series-kun (according to old-computers.com, the 7090 was more or less a solid-state version of the AN/FSQ-7 computer. Notable for being the platform on which CTSS and BESYS ran).
-The brother or son of AN/FSQ-7-kun/tan, smaller and more refined than his relative
-Intellectual, but personable and accessible
-An amateur scientist
-Likes wearing striped clothing
-Friends with CTSS and BESYS-tan
-Alive today in the form of emulators (?)

Honeywell 6000 series-kun (you know him already)

XP Pro-tan wearing Nlite. “I feel so light and freeeeeeeee!”

Apollo Guidance Computer/Luminary-tan (as the name suggests, this was the computer used for navigation on the Apollo moon missions. Was a very light and small computer for its time, as well as one of the first to use the integrated circuit).
-Navigator for the Apollo Command and Lunar Modules
-Has a daring attitude and cool head under pressure
-More adventuresome and mobile than the other OS-tans of the time
-Dresses relatively lightly in a spacesuit-inspired outfit
-Shares a birthplace and creator with SAGE (that's MIT and Margaret Hamilton, respectivly)
-Has a generally good-natured and light attitude
-Likes the game of pinball
-Alive in the form of emulators and hobbyist models (?)

EMAG III-tan (worlds largest homemade computer. It played checkers and was an entry in the 1959 National Science Fair).
-Very tall*
-Has a cheerful and girlish, if not slightly simple-minded, personality
-Infectiously happy
-Likes the game of checkers, a LOT
-Wears simple dresses, handmade accessories made of vacuum tubes and wires
-Native of Iowa, but is fond of MIT (David Ecklein credits time spent at an IBM research lab and an advisor from MIT Lincoln Labs as inspiration for building the machine)**
-Probably would've been fond of DTSS, GENIAC, Tynix and other generally good-natured OS-tans

* I don't know if she should be tall on a human scale (say, 7 feet or whereabouts) or a giant, literally as tall as the computer was (like 20 feet tall). Maybe I'll cop out and say she can change height? *shrugs*
** MIT is fast becoming the Massive Dynamic of the computeriverse, every new discovery I dig up can be traced, SOMEHOW, back to that place. D:

Aurora Borealis

Yeah! NSA Linux-tan looks totally kick***, from her pose, to her expression, and the style of her clothes!

IBM 7090-kun and Honeywell 6000-kun both look very charming.

XP-tan is dressing even more skimpy than usual! XD

Is Nlite some sort of minimalist XP interface?

AGC-tan has a really cool and poofy and futuristic-looking outfit, and I like her attitude! :D

Awesome! Glad I'm not the only one who thought that EMAG III should be personified! Considered drawing her yesterday but never got to it, but your design agrees with what I had in mind- extremely tall, wearing high-heels, metal accessories and a checkered skirt! For her height, I originally thought she should be about as tall as Barbie Linux-tan, if not a little taller.

MisterCat

I'm back!  I'm back because my universe-wide network of spies informs me there are indications Luminary-tan may be created.  This is wonderful news!

;262

Plus, it's nice to see Bella and Ms Borealis again!  Hello!  "Hello!" to everyone else, as well.

;hi

=^..^=

stewartsage

NSA Linux-tan looks like the sort of person you don't want to mess with, even without you know the forcefields, armor, or spear.

Anyone who likes stripes, which certainly includes pinstripes, is a solid fellow in my book.  Actually, I've never really thought much about a single AN/FSQ-7-tan/-kun.  I just had all the different DC/CC and their AN/FSQ-7's being personifiyed as individuals.....

Honeywell 6000, as solid as ever.

XP-Pro: Exactly what she needs, less clothing

Ah!  AGC-tan!  So there was something behind that comment on DA beyond simple information.  Wow, a stable -tan from MIT/Lincoln Labs, that's unusual

Checkers!

**Don't say that too loud >>

Chocofreak13

holy crap, it's a mister cat!! GET THE NET!! ^^

umm, the icons are almost ready, slight setback due to faulty-ness of gimp last night (it froze and i couldn't save).

oh and bell, i liek it. the linux looks like BADASS OF DOOM.
luminary tan looks fun. like a jester! ^^
click to make it bigger

Bella

MisterCat! Hey, if I'd known it would just take a Luminary-tan to get you back to OSC, I'd have made one a long time ago. :P

Re: NSA Security Linux-tan: yep, she's an badass with or without her weapons. She has the fire of a Unix-tan and the sheer power of a Multics-like... which makes for a pretty intimidating combination.

Another note; despite being created by a rather secretive organisation, she's an avid open-sourceress and has the honesty and openness of any other Linux-tan. ^^

Re: IBM 7090-kun: It's funny how much stripes show up in the designs of CTSS-sama and 7090-kun; in CTSS' case, they were a reference to the Candystripe Manuals (the operation manuals for CTSS, IIRC), in 7090's case, they refer to the actual design of the computer (the front panel of which has broad light and dark grey stripes). For the record, stripes are my second favourite-- after spirals, of course. ^^

As for an AN/FSQ-7-tan/kun, I don't have any ideas either so I'll buy your one character for each DC/CC installation scheme.

Other interesting news: it turns out the original Multics machine, the GE 635 (which evolved into the Honeywell 6000) was, quote, "very similar" to the IBM 7090. It was also a modified version of the GE M236, a computer built for the MISTRAM tracking system. (Thanks for all this info, random wikiwalk!)

Re: XP Pro: Nlite is a utility that removes certain components of Windows OSes, allowing a person to make their own custom install CDRs (and more lightweight Windows installations). Less clothing for a reason! She's trying to run lighter, of course! xD

Re: AGC/Luminary-tan: I was aiming for a mix of spacesuit, circus ringmaster and court jester. Something that hinted a streak of mischief and adventure, to separate her from the typically stuffy and baroque -tans of that era.  

Well, granted, at the time I made that random comment I didn't really have an idea for a AGC-tan. ^^; I just wanted to share this amazing newfound info with someboddddddy~ :U

Re: EMAG III: The moment I saw the EMAG III, I KNEW it was rife with -tanning potential. And it's good to hear we're on the same wavelength when it comes to her design. ;010

Aurora Borealis

NSA-tan is a scary combination! At least she doesn't have Unix's notoriously short temper, right? o_o

I actually wasn't expecting NSA-tan to be the honest, open type despite being a Linux-tan!

Oh! Nlite makes Windows itself smaller! ^^;

Luminary-tan's outfit has the most bizarre yet awesome combination of fashions, and I like that she's one of the more daring and rebellious OS-tans of the 60's too!

BTW, is EMAG III-sama still alive?

stewartsage

Quote from: "Bella"As for an AN/FSQ-7-tan/kun, I don't have any ideas either so I'll buy your one character for each DC/CC installation scheme.

Sold!

7090-kun: Another link in the chain of Multics and SAGE's sort of relationship.  MISTRAM and AZUSA-tan.... damnit, my list keeps getting bigger.

AGC-tan: Well, you did put it to good use eventually so I'll let you off on this one

Bella

@Aurora: no, NSA Linux-tan has a pretty cool temper. Most people are surprised at her openness, given her current associations. ^^'

A little smaller, I guess.

AGC was a fairly strange computer for the time, seems fitting that her -tan follows suit.

Sadly, I don't think EMAG III-sama's still alive. ):

@Stew: Yep, the 7090 seems to be the only RL connection between SAGE and CTSS and therefor Multics. You supply the MISTRAM-tan, I'll supply the GE M236-kun!

Speaking of Multics associations, I MUST make a VisiCalc and MRDS-tan now (google them).

stewartsage

It might be a while before I do any more -tan's.... because it's summer and I'm lazy.  Though we shall see.

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "Bella"
Sadly, I don't think EMAG III-sama's still alive. ):

Awwww. :(

I don't know how long ago she died(?), but I'm sure she would have lived long enough to meet GENIAC-chan , but sadly that would have happened right before GENIAC's abandonment by her last caregiver in the early 1960's.

And at least for story purposes, she may have also met DTSS-sama in the 60's as well, and also live long enough to meet Tynix-chan in the mid 1970's.
--------------

I started sketching this on the 4th, but here it is! The first batch of IAS family-tans! IAS Machine-sama was already drawn by Bella before, but now here she is with three of her daughters, including the family outcast!

stewartsage

Looks like everyone had a fine Independence Day!  Well, except ILLIAC of course..... ILLIAC HOORAY!  Not even a visit from BESM can bring IAS (she has snacks, excellant detail Aurora-hime) down on her favorite holiday

GENIAC has a succsessor!  A couple of months ago I came across Digi-Comp I on a wikiwalk and knew there was great potential there.  Sure it took a lot longer then I expected, but at least I'm dipping into the list of unpersonified systems on my list.

Digi-Comp I & II-tan
-Tends to push herself to exhaustion doing math problems (It would be possible to do many of the same things comparable electronic computers could do, a FullSize!Digi-Comp would just be a lot bigger and slower)
-Wants to be taken seriously by the digital computers (First real mechanical binary computer, very capable despite being a "toy")
-Can only say "Yes" or "No", which doesn't really help her make her case (First real binary mechanical computer, so she get's stuck with a verbal handicap)
-Makes wire sculptures, unfolds paperclips, generally plays around with anything thin and mettalic
-Seems to be found of logic puzzles and brain teasers, as far as anyone can tell.
-Has a passion for bowling (Digi-Comp II used a rolling ball to for power)
-Is an elementary school teacher in her native New Jersey.
Status: Alive in both emmulator, Digi-Comp I 2.0, and a wide fanbase for the original Digi-Comp I & II

Physical: Appears much younger then she actually is (18/19) and a bit on the short side (maybe 5'3"), has bright red eyes behind wire frame glasses, white hair in a ponytail (may suffer from albinisim), when teaching prefers turtlenecks and long skirts, at home usually wears tank tops and jeans but always wears flip-flops (three mechanical flip-flops, 'nough said)

Bella

F-five foot six is s-short? *runs off crying* ;O;