Main Menu

More IBM-tans

Started by stewartsage, January 11, 2010, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Yes, I was planning on CTOS-tan having a Coast Guard-esque outfit... I'm trying to incorporate a lifejacket, but you know, make it look fashionable.

Quote from: "Stewart-san"So female text editors do exist, eh? That is an image I really didn't need...

YES IT IS. (See below)

QuoteI want art skillz for Christmas next year

Well, you write circles around us and writing is as much an art as drawing or painting or anything else. That being said, I do believe that any medium can be picked up with practice and dedication...

Quote from: "choco-san"heh. i want copics and an apartment.

Copics and living on your own are two of the scariest and most expensive things on our little planet. ;____;

[attachment deleted by admin]

stewartsage

.... Thanks Bella, thanks a lot.

Anyway, I'll at least add another IBM-tan and another miscellaneous -tan:

SIMMON-san:
-VM/CMS-san's own assistant.  Not very helpful, spends most of his time on "serious" projects, but a willing tester for her snacks.
-Not a mad scientist, though he may look like one
-Was the first IBM-tan DOS, BOS, and TOS were exposed to. He protested their treatement and was summarily demoted.
-Performs most tests for System/360 and System/370 OS's, usually as busy as his mistress.
-Skilled analyst, can find errors sooner then anyone else
-Summarizes most things into data tables
-Known for over complicating every answer he gives

Physical: Haggard looking man in his mid-50's, graying black hair, thin build, average height, usually wears a suit without jacket, goggles on head

Okay, so this one's actually a.... compiler-tan.... yeah...

TREE-META-tan:
-Shadowy conspiracy theorist, known associate of the early internet
-Quite pleasant and conversant in a variety of philosophical, lingual, and historical subjects if you can catch her
-Speaks any language after it's spoken to her, and can translate it to others she knows
-May or may not work for the government.
-Likes the outdoors, especially woodlands, but is almost never there

Physical: Small woman with sunglasses and unknown eye color, usually wears a green jacket or sweater, brown pants or skirt, appears to have graying brown hair, illusive

Still to do?:
ICL VME
NLS?
ARPANET?
Pilot's been done right? The Xerox Star one?
WWMCCS?
GWEN?
SLFCS?

Bella

I'm just doing my job. >:3

Hmm, considering that he was a software tester, d'ye think SIMMON-kun might have been some sort of teacher or tutor?

I don't really have anything to say about TREE-META-tan (for lack of compiler knowledge) but those are some cool sunglasses. xD

ICL-VME is now called OpenVME! Surely that would set her up for some run-ins with OpenVMS-sama. Heck, they might even share a "common ancestor"-- according to wiki, VME was very slightly kinda/sorta inspired by Multics (ish). Says its more "modern" than Unix and Windows and has a Unix subsystem, too. Verai interest'n find!

Did you watch the NLS demo? Anyway, that's a fascinating system! I guess NLS-tan would be some sort of Da Vinciesque uber-visionary and Renaissance woman, thinking years (decades, even) ahead of her peers.

ARPANET is a little more difficult to draw a concept for, since it's equivalent to creating an Internet or WWW-tan-- systems I've always thought would be analogous to postal or telecommunications systems in the OS-tan universe. That shouldn't stop you from creating one if you have a good idea, though.

Pilot-tan has been done, yes.

Why does WWMCS remind me a bit of SAGE? That's more of an observation than a real question. Sounds like an interesting system, there must be some potential there for a character.

I don't have any ideas for a GWEN or SLFCS-tan, but I found the wiki articles quite fascinating! Just off the top of my head, I suppose GWEN-tan would''ve seen herself as a target for Soviet assassination and for crazy conspiracy theories about mind control? SLFCS's logo/patch-thingy says "voice of the commander" in Latin. (I'm trying to practice my random Latin).

stewartsage

Yes, yes you are.

But of course, at least for the early /360-tans and VM/CMS-tan.  After that, well, more of a tea and sweets tester....

Neither did I, but it was beckoning.

Indeed, I did read both of those.  OpenVME-tan has great potential.

I did! NLS-tan is going to have to be all Da Vinci/Lillienthal-esque.  She'll get her section soon.

Yeaaaah, it was just a momentary thought after I started on NLS-san.  I mean, ARPANET was more specialized the internet, but nothing really comes to mind.

A little more searching and I'd found the material ^^;

WWMCCS(or Wimex)-san and SAGE-sama would have some similarities no doubt, the Cold War era bunker mentality/paranoia, the crushing sense of inadequacy and self loathing.... maybe its time for a support group with the two of them and GWEN?

GWEN sort of worked it/herself into one of my other universes (unpublished except for some maps), but I'm hesitant to do a -tan for her, even though I have some ideas for both.  L33T Latin skillz!

Bella

Hurhur, is that a Unix chewing on a SAGE I see in your avatar? ^^

If only I could come up with some personality ideas for OpenVME-tan. : \

Considering NSL-tan's "homeland" and forward-thinking mentality, I suppose she'd have been good friends with our dear Bohemian WAITS-tan.

BTW, is WWMCCS-tan still alive?

Ah, I see. Latin is so much fun! And it's such fun telling people you're studying Latin, because they usually give you a confused look or laugh and ask why you're studying a dead language. To which I reply, rident stolidi verba Latina. >:3

In other thoughts: why do I think that GECOS-tan's "mommy issues" with DOS/360-tan may have intensified her hatred of Multics-sama? Here's the reasoning. GECOS-tan always suspected she was DOS/360-tan's daughter but was always treated rather coldly by DOS/360-tan. You can kinda/sorta make out a parallel with Multics-sama's treatment of Unix-sama, so maybe somewhere in her slightly crazed mind she felt like she was punishing her own bad "mother" vicariously through Unix-sama v. Multics-sama?

I IS A SOAP OPERA WRITER IN DISGUISE.

Aurora Borealis

I ancay peaksay Igpay Atinlay! ;006

Interesting parallels between GECOS and DOS/360! I made a sketch of the System/360 sisters which I still need to post up. I support the idea because it may explain why GECOS became the manipulative person she is today, though it seems odd for DOS/360-tan to treat anybody that coldly.

Maybe DOS/360-tan was trying to discipline GECOS-tan but went a bit too far?

But was GECOS jealous of Multics for having a daughter of her own, and wanted to ruin things for her rival? You know... because that's what bitter arch-rivals do!

Bella

Nullo modo! Oro Latina. Tuum nomen est Latina "Dawn" (sorry for my poor Latin skillz)

I was going to do a DOS/360-tan drawing too... SKETCH RACE! Well, gotta remember that GECOS-tan isn't really DOS/360-tan's daughter (?), and even if she is I doubt DOS/360-tan would get along with somebody as... you know... GECOS-tan like as GECOS-tan is. ^^;;

It's unlikely that GECOS-tan had much contact with DOS/360-tan in her youth (probably not for lack of trying); seeing Multics-sama treat Unix-sama so badly probably upset her (at least as much as somebody like GECOS-tan can be upset). At the same time, though, GECOS-tan was indoctrinating Unix-sama against her mother, so I guess there's plenty of blame to go around...

She would have been angered that her rival had a daughter, but at the same time slightly satisfied because Unix-sama was so very unlike her mum (and therefore, "desecrating" Multics-sama's legacy in a way).

stewartsage

One of my few bits of Latin: Ultima Ratio Regum

The size needs to be fixed, but yes, yes it is  ;025

I've got Open VME covered (see bellow).  To be honest, she sort of reminds me of the Doctor.

Oh no doubt, considering their mutual pioneering and emotive nature.

It seems one of classes is "Why Latin is important" more then the actual subject matter.

Wow, that, that's impressive Bella.  I-I never even thought of it that way, but it makes sense.  

Although I think DOS/360's possible motivation for treating GECOS coldly could stem from the fact GECOS isn't her daughter but thinks she is.  While DOS-sama can be manipulative, it's usually for the greater good and no one gets hurt.... bad.... often.... that she likes....

Revenge is a dish best served to anyone and everyone, especially your competitors (if possible).

UNIX-sama being all rebellious, and un-Multics like, wearin' her skirts above the knee and.... I'll stop there ^^'

Hooray more System/360's!  It does an old heart good to see characters you create get a life of their own!

Here's the first three:

OpenVME-tan:
-Normally Whimsical and easily distracted
--Leeds to Buffy-speak
-Can be snobby, considers herself better then Unix or Windows derivatives
-One of the IBM-tan's many enemies
-Sometimes becomes aggressive  (unfinished version was supposed to be fault tolerant, so yeah)
-Never has been awfully successful, and doesn't really have many friends
-Prefers to remain above  the petty bickering of others, and eat pastries
-Has undergone a series of rather serious experimental surgeries, leading to an.... interesting internal arrangement (system's been overhauled, rebuilt, and combined a lot)
-At one point, someone tried to graft Unix type wings on her (see above)
-Changes labels around on her friends or enemies belongings
-A skilled civil engineer, designs and constructs her own buildings (QuickBuild application)

Physical: A little on the short side for a mainframe-tan (was also designed to run on smaller computers), wears layers of clothing (had layers in the system, sort of like Multics rings), gray-blue eyes usually bloodshot, strawberry blond, wears heavy plastic rimmed glasses, has one owl wing and part of some sort of white wing neither of which retract, both wing roots surrounded by scars and metal

NLS-tan
-Sometime colleague of WAITS and TREE-META-tans
-Unusually fond of mice (first practical mouse use)
-Fond of discussing anything research based
-Supporter of openness and collaboration in the OS community (early wiki-like programs)
-Often talks above her listeners, can be hard to follow (complex and hard to use)
-Can access data by touching things around her lab and certain other places (hyperlink use)
-Likes to be around people, even if she does seem distant
-Big into 'total interaction', though few have the courage to inquire further

Physical: Green eyes, sandy brown hair, average height, a bit on the thin side (budget issues), style of dress could described as comfortable and contemporary for the 70's progressive movement

WWMCCS (Wimex)-tan:
-Somewhat neurotic and depressed
-Spent most of her career unappreciated, but mentally clinging to her importance
-Possibly a complex about the various Secretaries of Defense
-Has some trouble managing data and messages, but try's as hard as she can with limited  resources
-Feels guilty about the USS Liberty incident, and the congressional censure
-Gets along with most OS and hardware -tans (The DoD used a variety of systems as part of WWMCCS)
-Felt redeemed by her performance in Desert Shield and Desert Storm after her modernization
-Crushed by the 'rejection' of the SecDef to modernize her again after the Gulf War
-Disappeared from her DoD office sometime in 1996, hasn't been seen since, unknown if it was of her own free will

Physical: Shorter then SAGE but taller then LIFT-chan, pale, missing one eye, the others always blackened from lack of sleep and brown in color, chocolate brown hair, usually in civilian business attire with a sweater, wears rings on each finger that allow for data control and manipulation

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "Bella"Nullo modo! Oro Latina. Tuum nomen est Latina "Dawn" (sorry for my poor Latin skillz)

I was going to do a DOS/360-tan drawing too... SKETCH RACE! Well, gotta remember that GECOS-tan isn't really DOS/360-tan's daughter (?), and even if she is I doubt DOS/360-tan would get along with somebody as... you know... GECOS-tan like as GECOS-tan is. ^^;;

It's unlikely that GECOS-tan had much contact with DOS/360-tan in her youth (probably not for lack of trying); seeing Multics-sama treat Unix-sama so badly probably upset her (at least as much as somebody like GECOS-tan can be upset). At the same time, though, GECOS-tan was indoctrinating Unix-sama against her mother, so I guess there's plenty of blame to go around...

She would have been angered that her rival had a daughter, but at the same time slightly satisfied because Unix-sama was so very unlike her mum (and therefore, "desecrating" Multics-sama's legacy in a way).

Why did Multics treat Unix badly then? Did she always do so since Unix's birth?

I admit that when Multics-sama's backstory was first being conjectured more than 2 years ago, I had some very... wrong first impressions because of my cynicism and misanthropy. I had thought she was a cruel, oppressive, extravagant tyrant who Unix rightfully rebelled against, with Unix becoming a horrible monster herself being corrupted by the power she was glad to steal from her, and was initially confused that Unix was sad over Multics' death! o_o

Back then, I had thought of morality being absolute, in black-and-white terms then, with Plan 9-tan in turn being the true hero, believing that evil doesn't necessarily run in the bloodline, rejecting the Unix throne, as a firm believer of the Screw Destiny trope, while Unix believed that You Can't Fight Fate, and that's it's In The Blood.

However, I did understand Unix's friendship with Linux-sama, but saw Linux as Unix's morality pet, as the two have a surprising amount in common, with Linux being much like Unix had she not been evil! Of course, this is before I realized that Good Is Not (Necessarily) Nice!

----

But when GECOS-tan was introduced, and in your comics and later conjectures, you showed that Multics and Unix were NOT the monstrous tyrants I initially thought they were! Far from it actually, and that Unix had to act like a tyrant to survive in a world largely against her, and she didn't intend to rise to power the way she did. It is actually from the OS-tan conjectures that I fully realized the concept of grey-and-grey morality!

Did Multics have to act the same way for similar reasons, since nearly everyone was against her too, including her daughter who was indoctrinated by her arch-rival?

-----

The questions I'm trying to get at here are: Why were Multics and GECOS arch-rivals in the first place? I can't remember the details exactly, but they were developed by the same companies at nearly the same time with fierce competition among them, yes?

And... I know that GECOS indoctrinated and abused Unix in a way to use her against Multics (partly because of her own mommy issues!)... but how did GECOS get custody of Unix in the first place?! What were the higher-ups of the companies thinking when they let a mastermind have custody of her arch-rival's daughter?! o_o

On the topic of desecrating Multics' legacy, I bet that's why she still torments any Multics or Unix descendants she comes across, even though she's not as good as a fighter as she used to be!

NejinOniwa

Aurora-sama...

The amazing grays are your key to living in this world. B/W gets you nothing, except perhaps some photography prize.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Quote from: "stewart-san"One of my few bits of Latin: Ultima Ratio Regum

It seems one of classes is "Why Latin is important" more then the actual subject matter.

I translated that as "the last understanding of kings", but Wikipedia filled me in on its actual meaning. They teach you why Latin is important, without teaching you any actual Latin? Piffle! >:V

Woo, OpenVME-taaaaan! You know, she does remind me a little of OpenVMS-sama, is only for the Unix/Windows condescension, isolation and aggressiveness. (I was going to suggest blonde hair for her, because of the colour of the mainframes VME runs on. Well, she has wings, and that's practically an invitation for me to draw her.)

NLS-tan sounds like a more serious and work-oriented (and less debauched?) WAITS-tan. Mice! Who couldn't like mice, they're so cute. I'm going to have fun trying to make her an 1970s-with-a-Bohemian-twist-outfit. xD

Wimex-tan has found her way onto my to-draw list too.

QuoteAlthough I think DOS/360's possible motivation for treating GECOS coldly could stem from the fact GECOS isn't her daughter but thinks she is.  While DOS-sama can be manipulative, it's usually for the greater good and no one gets hurt.... bad.... often.... that she likes....

Revenge is a dish best served to anyone and everyone, especially your competitors (if possible).

UNIX-sama being all rebellious, and un-Multics like, wearin' her skirts above the knee and.... I'll stop there ^^'

That's exactly what I thought. Surely she'd be put off a bit by the idea of a "self proclaimed daughter".

Unix is the polar opposite of Multics! Its even in their names. Aside from hair and eye colour, name just about any aspect of one and the other will have the opposite.

Quote from: "Aurora-sama"Why did Multics treat Unix badly then? Did she always do so since Unix's birth?

I admit that when Multics-sama's backstory was first being conjectured more than 2 years ago, I had some very... wrong first impressions because of my cynicism and misanthropy. I had thought she was a cruel, oppressive, extravagant tyrant who Unix rightfully rebelled against, with Unix becoming a horrible monster herself being corrupted by the power she was glad to steal from her, and was initially confused that Unix was sad over Multics' death!  

Back then, I had thought of morality being absolute, in black-and-white terms then, with Plan 9-tan in turn being the true hero, believing that evil doesn't necessarily run in the bloodline, rejecting the Unix throne, as a firm believer of the Screw Destiny trope, while Unix believed that You Can't Fight Fate, and that's it's In The Blood.

However, I did understand Unix's friendship with Linux-sama, but saw Linux as Unix's morality pet, as the two have a surprising amount in common, with Linux being much like Unix had she not been evil! Of course, this is before I realized that Good Is Not (Necessarily) Nice!

That, my friend, is one of the biggest questions in the OS-tan universe-- especially as there's no RL equivalent to the Unix/Multics conflict (sure, Unix may have helped doomed Multics, but the two OSes never competed for the same turf). It's been suggested that Multics-sama went out of her way to make life rough for Unix-sama to test her and to form her into a stronger person, because Multics-sama realized that she was doomed and the only possible way for her to have a legacy was through Unix. Eventually, things got out of hand and Unix-sama was able to defeat Multics-sama; this would have broken off any interest Multics had in "tutoring" her daughter and the chance for them to have any normal relationship died. (I support this idea fully, BTW)

Haha, I thought the same thing about Multics-sama and Unix-sama... but the more I researched Multics, the more favourable my impression its OS-tan became. Multics-sama was a very extravagant woman and was raised in a rather oppressive (or at least stuffy) environment, but she was far from cruel. She had a very merciless side, but it didn't dominate her personality any more than her affectionate, caring side did.  Multics' power did corrupt Unix-sama in a way, but then again it might have been the act of nearly killing her mother (and the realization that GECOS-tan played her like a pawn) that reshaped her personality more than anything else.

This is definitely a situation of grey-and-grey morality; but your observations about Plan 9-tan's and Unix-sama's beliefs (and those tropes) are right on.

Unix-sama and Linux-tan's friendship is one of those crazy soul-mate types, where the two of them are simply too alike NOT to get along. But their views on morality and world-views are probably quite different (haha, that trope fits Linux-tan quite well).

QuoteBut when GECOS-tan was introduced, and in your comics and later conjectures, you showed that Multics and Unix were NOT the monstrous tyrants I initially thought they were! Far from it actually, and that Unix had to act like a tyrant to survive in a world largely against her, and she didn't intend to rise to power the way she did. It is actually from the OS-tan conjectures that I fully realized the concept of grey-and-grey morality!

Did Multics have to act the same way for similar reasons, since nearly everyone was against her too, including her daughter who was indoctrinated by her arch-rival?

Yes, both Multics-sama and Unix-sama had to do terrible things to survive (it's probably worse in the case of Unix-sama) but they lived in a dog-eat-dog world where they had no other choice. Glad something good came out of our fanciful little discussions. (I'll save the larger philosophical discussions for another place, but in this case of Multics, Unix and GECOS, the "good guy" is completely relative to your POV and beliefs on technology).

You are correct, there were just as many people against Multics-sama as there were against Unix-sama-- certainly more, in fact. Okay, Unix had a rough couple of years in her youth, but Multics-sama practically lived with a target on her back from birth. (Unix was slow to picking usership initially, but when Unix finally caught on in the early 70s, it took off like a rocket. Multics, on the other hand, constantly skirted cancellation, had developer infighting, suffered from very poor marketing and countless critics who thought it could never work).

QuoteThe questions I'm trying to get at here are: Why were Multics and GECOS arch-rivals in the first place? I can't remember the details exactly, but they were developed by the same companies at nearly the same time with fierce competition among them, yes?

And... I know that GECOS indoctrinated and abused Unix in a way to use her against Multics (partly because of her own mommy issues!)... but how did GECOS get custody of Unix in the first place?! What were the higher-ups of the companies thinking when they let a mastermind have custody of her arch-rival's daughter?!  

On the topic of desecrating Multics' legacy, I bet that's why she still torments any Multics or Unix descendants she comes across, even though she's not as good as a fighter as she used to be!

Multics and GECOS-tan's rivalry comes from both being tied to GE. GECOS-tan was very doubtful of Multics-sama's grandiose promises and thought she'd be a disgrace to her company. But later on, when Multics showed that she could be a competitive, GECOS-tan became threatened by Multics and tried whatever she could to "stop her". (I guess a not-completely terrible example would be the rivalry that Sayuri and Hatsumomo had in Memoirs of a Geisha)

Keep in mind that Multics-sama and GECOS-tan were not able to harm each other directly (probably not for lack of trying-- but there's also the chance they weren't allowed to, sort of like Jacob and Man in Black on Lost).

GECOS-tan was a caretaker for Unix-sama before, during and after her "birth" (GECOS supported Unix before it could support itself, and Unix was partially coded on GECOS). Well, the Labs certainly WASN'T sympathetic to Multics-sama at this time and probably didn't give a damn about GECOS's and Multics' rivalry, perhaps they thought that GECOS wouldn't figure out that Unix was Multics' daughter, or perhaps... if you want to be conspiratorial... they planned it all out.

You're right on that last point... GECOS harbours nothing but hate for  the Unices and Multics-likes at this point.

Quote from: "the wise Nejin-san"...B/W gets you nothing, except perhaps some photography prize.

I'm going to have to use that line someday...

NejinOniwa

I'm going to have to use that line someday...
Very well. You have my permission.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

^^ waiting patiently for moar pics ^^
click to make it bigger

Bella

I COME BEARING PIX~!

FULLVIEW PLZ!

L-to-R:

-ThothOS-tan http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/classes/wi08/cse221-a/papers/cheriton79.pdf [research OS, GECOS/Multics/Unix and RTOS-alike]
-EVE-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_VAX_Editor[OpenVMS text editor-tan]
-WWMCCS-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWMCCS [Cold War era US military command and control system]
-ICL OpenVME-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVME [Multics-and-Unix alike [?], highend mainframe OS]
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLS_(computer_system) [revolutionary online collaboration system]
-Oregon State University Shop OS-tan (1970s academic OS)
-IBM DOS/360-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS/360_and_successors [IBM mainframe OS, GECOS's supposed ancestor]
-SpriteOS-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_operating_system [experimental Unix built at UC Berkeley]
-CTOS-tan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CTOS [workstation OS owned by Burroughs/Convergent Technologies/Bull]

stewartsage